Google Compute Engine (GCE) is the acronym of infrastructure as a Service, also termed as (IaaS). This helps the clients in running the workload on Google’s physical hardware.
Google Compute Engine allows you a scalable number of virtual machines (VMs) that help compute clusters to serve that purpose.
The GCE is a service that gives pay per usage for a minimum of 10 minutes. Up-front fees or time-period commitments are not required. The direct competitors of GCE are Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), Azure, and Microsoft.
The administrators get virtual machines through GCE’s application program Interface (GCE), DNS Server, and load balancing capabilities. The VMs are provided in CPUs, RAM Configurations, and Linux distributions. It includes Debian and CentOS. The customers can freely use their real system images for custom virtual machines.
The regions and zone from the data resources stored and used are allowed to select manually for the administrators. The areas of GCE are currently three, and they are-
- The United States
Two availability zones are provided in every region, and every zone is supported through either Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge Processors.
Let us know more about the advantages, features and many more.
Application of Compute Engine-
Here are some of the instances that Google compute engine are-
- Virtual Machine (VM) to Compute Engine
For faster delivery of the migration process from on-premise or other clouds to GCP, notable are tools required- these are provided. When users start with a public cloud, they can leverage the tools for seamlessly transferring existing applications from the data center, Azure, or AWS to GCP Compute Engine.
The users benefit from running applications on GCP Compute in no time, and the data migrate transparently in the background.
- Data Processing
The information is vast sets of sequencing, and hence the data transfer process is quite intensive. The genomic data processing is entirely computational. With Compute Engine’s potential, the users process large data sets. The platform does not provide flexibility but is also scalable when it is about processing genomic sequences.
- BYOL or Bring your License Image
Through Google compute engine, one can help run the windows app in GCP through the licenses to the platforms. These can be done either through license-included images or through sole-tenant nodes. As users migrate to GCP, it is flexible for optimizing their licenses and promotions.
Advantages of Compute Engine
- Storage- The disk has a storage of 257 TB that is ten times more than Amazon Elastic Block Storage (EBS).
- Price- The users need to pay only for the computing time that they are consuming.
- Stable- it offers more stability and provides live migration of VMs among the hosts.
- Backup- The Google Cloud Platform has got a robust, inbuilt, and excellent backup system.
- Scalable- One can profoundly make reservations ensuring that applications must have the capacity that is required.
- Secure- Google Compute Engine has excellent security and is a safe place for Cloud Apps.
Features of Compute Engine
- Machine Type
The virtual hardware is attached to the instance that includes RAM and CPUs. The two types of machines are-
- Predefined Machine- these are divided into four categories: Standard VMs, High-Memory VMs, High-CPU VMs, and Shared-Core VMs.
- Custom Machine- The virtual hardware can be manually configured for GCP Compute Engine.
They are incredibly durable and high-performance for block storage that is competent enough for HDD or SSD formats. The two types of persistent disks are-
- Local SSD
The Google Compute Engine always offers an encrypted local solid-state drive (SSD) capable of attaching physically to the virtual machine while running. The performance and latency both get advanced.
- GPU Accelerators
The GPUs are added intentionally to hold the workloads like machine learning, virtual workstations, and applications.
Every Image has OS, and the root file system uses the leverage for running VM instances. The two types of images are-
- Public- it is the collection of open-source and proprietary options.
- Custom- these images are built as per the customers’ needs and demands.
- Global load balance
This helps in the distribution of incoming requests from all over the pool across all the regions so that the users do not feel hindrance in the performance and are available at a meager cost.
About Virtual Machines?
Virtual Machines, in simple terms, can be known as the digit mode of the physical computer. The virtual instance of the computer can perform all the activities the same as that of a computer. Virtual machines run on physical machines only and access the computing resources from hypervisor software.
Where are virtual machines used?
- For creating development and testing environments
- For workload migration
- For disaster recovery and continue for business
- Creating a hybrid environment
- Server Consolidation
The Google Compute Engine provides a virtual machine to the user to operate like the real one. It is also termed IaaS. There are many advantages and features that are discussed in the article above.